That's an easy call to the facility or the vendor who manages this account. Unless it was stated in the contract that it could happen, we need to make sure there are guidelines and boundaries for our travelers so everyone isn't used and abused. If this is something that is necessary, we will have to ask the facility if they will compensate if the traveler is willing. Regardless, we would go back to the facility and let them know that this was not something we can tolerate if it's mandatory, but would be open only if the traveler was willing or given the option.
1st we would ask what level of care she will be providing in the NICU. If they need her to float to be an extra set of hands and not be taking patients, then it is a conversation they need to have the with the nurse about what they are asking her to do. If they are requiring her to float to the NICU, we will address that she does not have a NICU skills checklist for us to know her skill set, secondly, we can't tolerate the patient safety or the traveler's license to be on the line and ask to redirect someone who is more competent for obvious reasons.
1st we would contact management, let them know of that situation and see if they have other rooms.2nd we would see if the Nurse Roach would even consider moving into a new room.If not, completely fine, we will find another place that she can either stay or at least get her settled in a hotel until we find a suitable housing arrangement.
The biggest thing is to thank her for all of the hard work and to be a human at this point and make sure she is ok. We would contact that facility if needed to on her behalf and explain the situation, send her a care package, and work with the facility in 2 ways. 1) If Nurse Asthmatic would want to extend those 2 weeks she missed, give her that opportunity, or 2) Explain the seriousness of the situation with the facility and if it's her wishes, get her to another assignment that makes more sense to what she wants and protects her from experiencing that kind of asthma attack again. - Especially being 3 years, she could potentially have 120 hours of PTO time accrued and could use that to help with expenses.
1) I don't see how this can happen as we have protections on this in regards to compliance, signed contracts between both travelers and facility, but regardless we need to make things right. First we work our magic with the hospital and see if we can come up with a solution if they have needs in the facility and could get something pushed through on their side. 2) We look through the surrounding area for other hospitals we have contracts with, see what options we can come up with and hopefully get her placed. 3) If no place is hiring, we need to take care of her travel and hotel/housing situation - look for positions that may meet her needs and write this off as a vacation for her and try to keep her as optimistic about what has happened. 100% transparency needs to happen to. I would need to get to the bottom of who dropped the ball and give her the exact reason something as bizarre as this could have happened.
I think the biggest thing travelers should know is it's ok to be honest to a fault. If you are working with another company, we get it, 99% are. If you really don't think you could take an assignment in regards to benefits, life situations, or anything -be honest. We are also humans doing a job and it's ok to disagree or voice your opinion. Sometimes we may have that same opinion in regards to pay in areas, or situations that arise. Don't disappear on us, just let us know what you have going on. Even if it means that you have broken up with us for another company,or that you thought traveling was in the cards and decided to stay perm for whatever reason. It's ok - we will get over it :)