I would be 100% on the Nurses side on this one; especially if this was not discussed in the interview as well as on the contract. I would thank them for being flexible on the first few but then take it directly to the Account Manager/Facility and make sure this is resolved immediately. Before something like this even happens I would make sure these specifics are discussed and everything is detailed in the contract. If the facility wanted to make changes moving forward and Nurse Flo agreed we could come up with a new contract that would be honored.
I would immediately connect them to our Chief Executive Nurse for a full evaluation on Nurse Betty and if she is suitable to be floating to NICU. During that time I would contact Nurse Betty and discuss with her the situation to make sure she is aware that she is not required to float to any of the areas if they are not in her contract as we would never jeopardize her license. This would be promptly taken care of and made sure to not happen again.
750 miles (or any distance) is way too far to drive and to run into a situation such as this one…this would be top priority as soon as I hear of this to get suitable housing arrangements done right away! I would call and search nearby hotels and/or extended stays immediately to seek out new housing options. If this is all that is available then I would contact the assignment housing management to make sure something is done immediately for accommodations, refunds, etc.
Since it has been 3 years I have known Nurse Asthmatic, I would make sure I know the severity of any health issues and would use this knowledge when presenting possible assignment locations to avoid any issues like this from occurring. I would get her our short term disability paperwork and then see if she is hoping to return or will need another assignment lined up. I would contact the facility and advise them of the health issue for our nurse and if they would be willing to hold the assignment and wait on recovery, or if I need to make it a top priority and line up another assignment for her.
HPC, as a company,prides ourselves on our “zero failures to start” policy, of course you run into situations but we work very closely together to get these issues resolved so surprises like this won’t become an issue. The first 1-2 weeks from when an offer is made, there is constant communication between HPC and the facility so that if any issues do arise they are resolved immediately. If, somehow, this did occur we would immediately contact the facility to obtain a contract and continue with the assignment or seek out nearby assignments if this was not an option. We would assist in any way (travel cost/lodging/etc.) possible to create a new positive experience and make things right.
The more open and honest you are with me as your recruiter, the easier it will be for me to do my job and keep you happy! We are here to work as a team and begin a long-term relationship to both be successful. Also, try to be realistic in what you are looking for and always keep in communication. It is my job to find my nurses exactly what they are looking for and need, or at least get pretty darn close. I am a team player and will always have my nurses back and hope when you join my team you can do the same!