During the 6th week when she agreed to float to a hospital 15 miles away, I would have clarified with the hospital system if this means she is agreeing to floating this far for the rest of the contract or if it's a one time thing based on her "ok". Depending on that answer and hoping they said she is only required to float within 10 miles and anything outside of that she can say yes to but won't be required to float. Then I would say that moving forward she just says no if they ask her to float further than 10 miles. This situation seems like she is doing the system a favor saying yes to float further but it is up to her outside of the 10 miles she agreed to. I think in these situations having clarity the first time it something like this happens really helps keep it clear for each situation moving forward.
Unless stated otherwise on her contract, it would be up to the nurse if she wants to float to a unit where she does not have experience. If she were to agree and float, she would need to receive proper orientation to the unit and initially be there in more of a helping hands role to get comfortable in the unit. If she refused and this were to become a problem with the hospital, PPR would speak with the hospital and define the units she is expected and skilled to float to. This would be to better ensure her safety as well as the patients safety.
If it were company provided housing we would speak with her and figure out options. They would probably be to get her set up in a new apartment in the same complex if available or another complex. Unless she wanted to stay, then the complex would treat the apartment with the necessary means to get it to be up to standards of living space. If this were housing she found on her own, I would help her come up with options to handle the situation, similar to above and have her speak with her landlord. As well as offer any assistance in the meantime such as provided housing to supplement the in between time if needed.
Just to start this off, I would hope before accepting a job and signing a contract that we would have thoroughly looked over the location and all details involved so it wouldn't be a surprise that there is fields of wheat versus mountains. That being said, the asthma part is not something we could have prepared for. I am not sure how this would affect the nurse moving forward once she is all better and no more pneumonia. We would have a conversation about whether this will be an ongoing health issue and look at the hospitals cancellation policy. Lots of factors at play but I would want to offer my support and explore options together. We would pick the option that best works for her, her health and complies with the hospitals policies.
This is a toughie because there are so many unknowns here. I would do all I could to help work everything out quickly so that the nurse knows what is happening, whether that is a delay or cancellation. I haven't experienced this before and can imagine it would be really stressful on everyone involved. I would want to stay in communication with the nurse and keep her updated as well as offer my support to her. I would hope to avoid this type of situation though as we wouldn't send a nurse a contract if the hospital hasn't signed or approved their side of it.
Wow! I don't know I have ever been asked this question before. My big thing is honesty and transparency, all around! It makes traveling so much easier when you are honest with your recruiter and just put everything out there (professionally of course). This helps me better understand what nurses are looking for and really get to know them to help avoid bumps in the future! I love working with the same people long term so building that relationship up is so fun :) It's what I love about my job!